Sunday, April 12, 2015

What Motivates Photojournalists?

What Motivates Photojournalists?

Steve Coleman
Australian Landscape Photography
photo source: https://www.facebook.com/Steve.Coleman.Photographer
 Coleman has spent his career capturing the beauty that lies within nature and its hidden marvels.  Beginning his career off in commercial design was exciting, but as Coleman put it, no longer capable of satisfying his creative soul.  "Functional design and feeding a business had left me feeling I was doing 'their' creative work and not my own."


Photo by Steve Coleman
Source:  http://www.lightinframeblog.com/my-story/#sthash.LD9UMF7w.dpbs

For many photojournalists, their motivation lies within the journey itself.  For many it may be the reason in regards to religions, philosophy, ethics, or a reward within itself.  But according to Coleman, "my search has taken me down a path of photographing landscapes, sharing what I learn and writing about the journey."
For Coleman, capturing the landscapes that surround us in nature is rewarding in ways he can discover his own journey and discovering his own individual balance.  "I know that photographing a landscape brings a sense of balance into my life.  It fulfills many needs in me, a need to build and create something."  For some, it may be rewarding to simply benefit from what photography can provide to the man behind the camera. 

Karl Grobi
Source: http://www.karlgrobl.com/Photojournalism/Refugees/index.htm
His photographs have highlighted issues that many people face all over the world.  His photographs provide viewers with the ability to connect with the compelling stories behind the imagery.  "Karl's photographs reveal the heart, and sometimes, heart-wrenching truth."
Grobi's motivation behind his photographs was his aim to keep the references to human dignity relevant and understood.  "My photographs not only educate and motivate but also stir a viewers deep emotion."
Not only relying on the unfolding stories that Grobi likes to be able to provide viewers with a glimpse of human dignity and the lives of regular ordinary people. "My pictures glimpses into the lives of ordinary people all over the world and provide an opportunity for us to reflect upon, and understand their personal struggles and triumphs."
Photo By:  Karl Grobi
Source:http://www.karlgrobl.com/Photojournalism/Refugees/index.htm

As any well experienced photojournalist, they are aware of the fact to express a photograph to make viewers connect, analyze and become aware of third world issues that impact our society.  "My goal is always to create high-impact, evocative images which not only inform, but also spark the desires to become involved," said Grobi.  "Images that cause reflection upon and empathy with another human being's struggle, all the while, respecting the dignity of those who appear in the photos."
Stacy Pearsall

source: https://www.tumblr.com/search/stacy%20pearsall
Pearsall, a photojournalist who focused a majority of her career In the United States Air Force sacrificed not only her time and efforts but her life as well.  Pearsall was injured in covering conflict while in combat, spending a majority of her time recovering as motivation to create and publish The Veterans Portrait Project.  "I was a photographer to photograph them (the soldiers), but inherently I became a part of the story too."
Through the use of light and other miscellaneous photographic techniques, Pearsall aims to portray emotion and honesty through all of her photographs.  Emotion is key in all of Pearsall's photographs, and it is evident.  Since her accident, during an ambush fire, the recovery process has been tedious, simply leaving Pearsall with the discouraging words, she will no longer be able to be a photojournalist in the US Air Force.  "When the Military said I couldn't do photography for them anymore, doesn't mean I couldn't do it for myself."
Photo by: Stacy Pearsalls
source:  http://medavia.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/MEDAVIA_VETERANS_PORTRAITS_10.jpg
Eventually, hearing the stories from other veterans motivated Pearsalls to begin the Veterans Portrait Project.  "If I can't be a combat photographer, I can at least share their stories, because they are so extraordinary."
Being able to tell everyone's story of individuality, culture and diversity, that is what Pearsall wanted to show; a slice of America that not everyone had the ability to see.

My Motivation

When I had the opportunity to express my own personal motivations, I could tell that on some level I was able to relate to the photojournalists I highlighted.  Like Coleman, I also strive to be able to find a certain sense of journey in all that I do.  Sometimes it's not necessarily about what you experience, but what you get out of it.  I aim to inspire, not only me, but others around me.  Pearsall was inspired by others stories when it came to her creation of the Veteran Project.  Other peoples stories inspire me to write every day, and continue to write.  I can connect to the context Coleman described,  "I know that photographing a landscape brings a sense of balance into my life.  It fulfills many needs in me, a need to build and create something." Balance is important to me in everything I put my mind too.  What motivates me to succeed is having a clear mind, and the ability to triumph the obstacles that stand in my way.  My future is important to me, and I am constantly motivated by those around me, and those who motivate me to be the best person I possibly can be.  My journey is just beginning, as I am graduating from college in just three short weeks.  I don't know what the future has in hold for me, but I do know that I will have the proper motivation to keep me on track.  I hope to remain happy, inspired and determined in everything I apply myself too.  The future is bright, the journey is endless, and my dreams and motivation for the road ahead are only just beginning to blossom.  
Xyza Cruz Bacani had a very motivational explanation about ones future, and what to expect.  "I want people to see that your job, your work, it doesn't define who you are," she added.
"The dreams that I had when I was young, I'm having them now." I hope to one day explore my dreams, and not allow what I do define me, but what I have the ability to do develop who I have the potential to become. 

No comments:

Post a Comment