Sunday, May 3, 2015

Concluding Chapter: Creative Experimental Experience


After studying just what photojournalism is and what photojournalists do, my initial definition has changed.  After profiling major photojournalists in their career and personal motivations, the history of photojournalism is something to be remembered in a single tag line, “Every picture tells a story!”
I’ve learned about photography, browsing a multitude of photographs and bringing to mind new stories and ideas that are relevant to today.  Not only studying the facts of our history through photographs and individual dedication, having the ability to share my studies in a universal blog was a rewarding experience. 
In many times we read about news story’s in the press and see what is happening on the 5pm news report; but what we don’t understand are the opinions and facts behind the picture.  Sometimes I would always consider truth to be photographs, but what I came to realize, is viewing an event through the lens of a camera may not necessarily be what we expect it to be.  Truth, bias and discrimination among photojournalism were some specks of information that came as a shock to me.
It’s important to understand the history of photojournalism to be able to study and reflect how our society has grown both technically and comprehensively.  According to the International Center of Photography, “The documentation of photography and photojournalism focuses on the investigative skills and technical knowledge necessary to advance in the complex and constantly changing world of visual journalism.”  As a communications major, being able to experience and engage in a new journalistic style has been incredibly beneficial.  Analyzing and evaluating a variety of photo-journalistic publications has provided students with the opportunity to discuss a new outlook in media, business, methods, and most importantly political, ethical and social concerns.   Being able to see our history through the eyes and lens of different people and different cameras has provided me with a significant new way of thinking intellectually and experiencing the spontaneous “Ah-ha” moment involved in the thought process.   
With my experience in this course, I still stand by my idea that photographs have the power to change the world.  Most specifically along my flow of research I came across Brent Stirton’s collection of photographs that documented the economic issues in South Africa (“Rhino Wars”).  His photographs express such emotion and truth; it was not hard to empathize with the animals in regards to the cruelty is inflicted upon them.  Being able to see the damage provides a sense of perception.  With any photograph in photojournalism, having the ability to think, perceive and comprehend a given message provokes people to make a difference.  The power of a photographs story encompasses the influence in many cases to change the way the world perceives certain issues.  
Photo By Brent Shirton
Being able to see the damage provides the viewers with a sense of perception.  With any photograph in photojournalism, having the ability to think, perceive and comprehend a given message provokes people to make a difference.  The power of a photographs story encompasses the influence in many cases to change the way the world perceives certain issues. 



http://jennacosta63.blogspot.com/2015/04/photojournalist-profile-robert-capa.html  


http://deedilli.blogspot.com/2015/04/blog-post.html

In my creative experimental exercise I used social media to market my recent photographs I took over the weekend.  This weekend happened to be the first time in 15 years that the American International College Baseball team has won a spot in the North East 10 Playoff Championship series.  Saturday was the biggest game they needed to win, and they clinched the victory, putting them in the number two spot and on the road to the championship playoff game.  I took pictures the entire day and posted them to Facebook. Within hours, I had players contacting me to send them their pictures; I even had family members of some of the guys contacting me for copies.  My boyfriend is a member of the team, and he enjoyed being able to have these photographs, documenting a major achievement that AIC hasn’t seen in nearly fifteen years.  The team has a shot in making baseball history next week, and there is no better way than being at the games taking pictures and showing my support.





No comments:

Post a Comment